Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sweat Box

After I workout, the first thing I want to do is rinse off all the sweat. Pretty natural, right? I thought so, but lately I’ve been noticing that when some of the regulars at my gym get off the treadmill, they hit the sauna, not the showers. Since I couldn't fathom why anyone would want to get more sweaty post-workout, I decided to see what the hype over this hot box is all about. What happens to your body during a sauna is pretty simple: metabolism and pulse rates increase, blood vessels get more flexible, and circulation improves. Sauna junkies say they feel a psychological peace and physical rejuvenation. Others claim the sauna relieves symptoms of minor colds, revives muscles after a tough sweat fest, and clears up pesky pimples all by releasing toxins through your sweat. Saunas are supposed to leave you with heightened senses and a feeling of being very much alive.
Dr. Oz says that in an infrared sauna, you can burn as much as 700 calories in an hour without lifting a finger! To take a sauna, shower, enter the sauna...don't stay in for more than 15 minutes to start, cool down, and then shower again to rinse away the toxins your body has just released. All these benefits from relaxing in a warm box? I’ve talked myself into it. Definitely making a sauna stop after my next workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment